Dalarna is a county characterized by its history, culture and entrepreneurial spirit. It offers a high quality of life and a wide range of sports, musical and cultural activities which makes it easy for people to enjoy living here.
It is Dalarna’s nature which appeals to both tourists and to those who come here in order to make their dreams come true: Dreams about living, working or starting a business.
The county of Dalarna is approximately the same size as Belgium so there is plenty of space for both body and mind. Almost everyone is able to reach his workplace within a short travel time and also the world around Dalarna has become more easily accessible.
The name Dalarna means “the valleys” and refers to the long valleys beside the river Dalälven.
- Area: 31 151 km²
- Population: 276 000 inhabitants
- Seat of local government: Falun
- Number of municipalities: 15 municipalities of which Falun has most residents (55 000) and Vansbro fewest (6 900). The neighboring towns of Falun and Borlänge together have 100 000 inhabitants.
- Important private employers: ABB Ludvika: 2 600 employees, SSAB Borlänge: 2 100 employees and Outokumpu Avesta: 1 110 employees
- Important public employers: Falun hospital: 3 650 employees, Mora hospital: 1 150 employees, Trafikverket Borlänge (Swedish Transport Administration): 800 employees
- Number of companies: 13 000
- Distances: Borlänge – Stockholm: 214 kilometers, Borlänge – Gothenburg: 441 kilometers
- Commercial airports: Dala Airport (Borlänge) and Mora-Siljan Airport (Mora)
- Major events: Vasaloppet (cross-country skiing race): 50 000 participants, Vansbrosimningen (swimming competition): 13 000 participants, Dalecarlia cup (youth football tournament): 300 teams from 11 countries with a total of more than 6 000 participants, Bingsjöstämman (one of Sweden’s biggest folk music festivals): more than 5 000 visitors.